[SFD-discuss] SFD2021 in Iran report

Mostafa Ahangarha ahangarha at riseup.net
Sun Sep 26 06:39:00 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,
Happy Software Freedom Day again

I am pleased to inform the world community that we in Iran managed to
conduct 5 online events. The first one was organized by people in
Mashhad city and funded and supported by some companies and
organizations. Next was Gnu Meetup special event for SFD with 6 non
technical talks addressing different issues related to significance of
Software Freedom in today Iran. Organizers of this even, released a
statement addressing people, free software community and government.

There were two other events organized by Blender House in Iran and also
a telegram based community of front-end developers called Front Chapter
in which people discussed the impact of free software in shaping the
web. And finally, the last event was organized yesterday by Azad-on
focusing on contribution. Like last year, Azad-on tried to inform people
that having share in a freer future in computation doens't necessarily
require programming knowledge. The event encouraged people to provide
non-technical contribution to OpenStreetMap, Mozilla Common Voices and
software/documentation translations. After long time, we could achieve
daily goal on Common Voice project for Persian language (1200 voice
record and 2400 verification).

I am happy that this year, we had multiple groups organizing small but
independent events for SFD rather waiting for a big and grand event,
addressing small number of geeks. I hope this experience could have some
share in breaking the malformed imagination of so called Free Software
Community in Iran around the way of celebrating Software Freedom Day.

--
Regards,
Mostafa Ahangarha