[SFD-discuss] SFD 2021 Preparation

LM lmemsm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 11:33:45 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 12:22 AM <sfd-discuss-request at sf-day.org> wrote:
> Mastodon is a decentralized federated social network made by free software (licensed under AGPL) and many free software organizations like FSF and GNOME are active there. It would be wonderful if we make an account there. Postings to/from Twitter and Mastodon can be automatic using some bots/services.

I just joined Mastodon.  I posted about Software Freedom Day and
registration being open for 2021 using #SoftwareFreedomDay and #SFD as
hashtags.  Not much traffic on Mastodon for Software Freedom Day.
Would be nice to get some talk going over there.  Maybe others would
notice.  Wondering if we should add some more common search hashtags
like FLOSS or software as well so people on Mastodon not searching for
Software Freedom Day may find it too.

The link on https://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/SocialNetworks
for the Federated StatusNet group appears to be down.

> So to summarize: pick the date that works for your community, and make
> sure it's very clear on your wiki page and communication channels.

I think that's a  great way to go.  Better to do something than
nothing at all.  Had to move the date last year.  Still had a nice,
enjoyable event online even if it was small.  Also found out last year
that it's very important to indicate what time zone you're in.  People
tend to assume you're in the same time zone as them which may not be
true if an event is virtual.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://lmemsm.dreamwidth.org