[SFD-discuss] SFD 2021 Preparation

Mostafa Ahangarha ahangarha at riseup.net
Mon Jun 28 15:23:33 UTC 2021

> We didn't die, Covid made us VERY uncomfortable to generate meetings.
> One year later....here we are...

I forgot to say I am happy that all of us are alive :D. We all passed a
horrible year.

Thanks for links you shared with me regarding social media and hashtags.

Regarding the fact that Mastodon is getting more and more popularity and
is already very much settled as the main FLOSS social media for many
individuals and organizations (including FSFE and FSF) I think we need
to consider it seriously. SFD should be be an example for others on how
to opt ethical social platforms and start migration gradually.

I think I shared this last year as well that we in Iran tried to
introduce Mastodon (and in general Fediverse) to participants in 2019.
We asked people to make account on different instances and share their
comments about the program and then read them between each presentation.
It was very good and I think very successful.

I am not advocating to use only Mastodon and leave twitter (or other
platforms). I am simply requesting to consider Mastodon as the primary
account or at least one of them. We can discuss about the possible
challenges.

> We need to test and find out what works best for us, knowing "us" is a
> wi(l)de community and we don't have a one size fit all.

Sure. And I am not thinking about one solution for everyone. We can just
suggest the possible option to hold SFD without compromising. I will try
to share my thoughts on the relevant wiki page.

--
Regards,
Mostafa Ahangarha