[SFD-discuss] Call for proposals to host SFD Summit 2012

Frederic Muller - SFI fred at softwarefreedomday.org
Mon May 21 09:51:21 UTC 2012

Dear all,

Digital Freedom International (Aka Software Freedom International) is
proud to announce it will start co-organizing Software Freedom Days
under the name of SFD Summit with one local team each year starting this
year, and therefore we are inviting local organizers to submit proposals
to host our upcoming and first SFD Summit around September 15th 2012.

The purpose of co-organizing such an event is to raise the profile of
our celebrations while bringing a public space for discussions about the
future of our movement. Over the past two years DFI/SFI has been through
important changes in its governance such as expending community
involvement through various committees, tightening our budget to remain
cash positive, surveying SFD organizers and enhancing the team pack to
enable teams to reuse the materials they receive, just to name a few of
our efforts. It is now time to raise collaboration efficiency by getting
together!

While this will be the first occurrence of a SFD Summit we are still
very open on the details and expect proposals to enhance our views on
the matter. Our current vision is to initially organize a great local
SFD bringing in international speakers and attracting both sponsors and
media attention, thus boosting the reputation and influence of the
selected local organizer. Furthermore an extra day or two should be
planned to work on the year ahead, programs and actions which could be
run under the DFI umbrella and status updates on ongoing activities such
as software development, infrastructure, marketing and fund raising
campaigns.

If you are interested in hosting the upcoming SFD Summit in September
2012 please submit a formal proposal to board (at) softwarefreedomday
(dot) org before July 1, 2012 Sunday UTC 2359. The proposal should
address all of the relevant topics listed below:

- Introduction of the country / city / organizer - why is this a good
choice?
- Recommended venues and logistics
- Internet access
- Accommodation choices
- Local 1 day tour
- Local community / government / industry support
- Detail budget estimation and potential local sponsors

The event is recommended to run for at least 2 days on 15 and 16,
September 2012, with a combination of parallel tracks (at least 2
tracks). The planning sessions for SFD contributors should not conflict
with other SFD sessions. Other key points which will be taken into
account when choosing a proposal, are listed on the Requirement List
page a thttp://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/SfdSummit/RequirementList .
Please check it out when putting together your proposal and feel free to
contact sfd-discuss mailing list (or the board) if you have any further
question. Also note that all profits from the summit will go to the DFI
to further help our actions.

We are looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Digital Freedom International