[SFD-discuss] Free Culture Disk

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Thu Jan 19 00:01:59 UTC 2012

Hi,
Frederic Muller - SFI wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'd like to get started on preparing the free culture disk and fixing
> the few issues we had last year (file formats, better content,
> hosting/repository).
>
> While I believe the people helping to make it happen are still available
> to help, I was wondering which platform/site would be the best to host,
> manage and distribute the project? Our requirements are simple:
> - free bandwidth
> - discussion channels (list or web based)
> - easily accessible from all over the world (if possible)
> - large size file storage (DVD size)
> - version control system
>
> So suggestions and experience on the matter definitely welcome.

Suggestion make it a DVD that can also select & play like a normal
commercial DVD connected to a TV.  I found ours would only view on
a computer.

So though I'd also brought one of those car players with 2 screens
((the kind that strap on car seats to keep kids in the back occupied
normally) It wouldnt play.

& the people demoing various Linux & BSD didnt want to sacrifice
their PCs just to play it. (We had originally hoped to play stuff
on an umanned desk between Linux stand & BSD stand).

We could have even piped it from that device into a projector in a
spare lecture theater we had available (Id have been prepared to
risk my player device unattended) - but none of us were about to leave
our laptops unattended in a remote room.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".