[SFD-discuss] SFD Logo

Steve Olive steve at bathurst-tafe.nsw.edu.au
Fri Apr 3 07:16:22 BST 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 02:32 +0800, jmC8 wrote:
> Hi Thilo,
>
> Please check out the new logo experiments I've done here:
> http://softwarefreedomday.org/Artwork/2009/Logo
>
> About learning inkscape, there are dedicated video tutorial sites for
> that but I haven't really followed one.  That's why I'm not claiming
> to have expertise yet on using Inkscape or The GIMP.  Next time, I'll
> try to update the Downloads and Resources page to include links to
> these video tutorial sites on The GIMP and Inkscape.
>
> Cheers,
>
> JM
> Software Freedom Day
>
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:28 PM, Thilo Pfennig
> <tp at pfennigsolutions.de> wrote:
>         Matt Oquist schrieb:
>         > But if anybody is inspired and can create a different
>         two-color SVG
>         > that gets across the idea of "software freedom", let's see
>         it!
>
>         Yeah, did not yet see black and white version. I guess it
>         might not look
>         like a sun any more then? I have to check that out.
>         Unfortunately I
>         never learned how to work with Inkscape. Still looking for
>         somebody to
>         teach me. ;-)
>
>         regards,
>         Thilo
>
>         --
>         Thilo Pfennig - PfennigSolutions IT-Beratung- Wiki-Systeme
>         Sandkrug 28 - 24143 Kiel (Germany)
>         http://www.pfennigsolutions.de/
>         XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Thilo_Pfennig -
>         LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tpfennig

Hi all,

I like the work and direction it is heading but I think there is too
much emphasis on the year "2009". For a branding logo "Software Freedom
Day" and "www.softwarefreedom.org" should be more important and larger.
The actual date each year is of lesser importance and could be displayed
below the logo or not at all.

The logo should concentrate on the sun, the hill, "Software Freedom Day"
and "www.softwarefreedom.org". This logo, either coloured or black and
white, could be used below signature blocks on emails and letters. The
black and white logo would stand out when printed on monotone laser
printers and could be used with coloured paper, which would reduce
printing costs.

Just my $0.02 worth.

--

Steve