[SFD-announce] Sponsorship confirmed and testing ahead

Frederic Muller fred at beijinglug.org
Sun Jun 6 03:01:10 BST 2010

Dear SFD supporters,

We've been graciously granted a VPS by Linode (www.linode.com) to host
our platform, which has been scattered here and there so far. Until now
Canonical was providing the support for our web platform, but technical
details have been preventing us from upgrading a 3 years old wiki in
dear need of a lifting!

So I extend my thanks to both Canonical who have been supporting us
since the early days and has just renewed their commitment to SFD in
2010, and to Linode with whom we have slow migrated stuff over time.
Both companies have been extremely responsive to our needs and it's a
real pleasure dealing with them.

This also means we'll still be getting loads of free Ubuntu CDs shipped
to each teams again this year, and that we'll be migrating our sites and
various services over the coming days. We might definitely experience
some outage (or maybe not). One thing which has been giving us headaches
so far was our mailing lists and we're planning to phase them out in the
short term, except from announcements.

We're also looking for volunteers to help us add an Free Software
alternative to Google Maps and provide access to OpenStreetMaps. If
anyone has experience implementing an API similar to what we have so far
(http://cgi.softwarefreedomday.org/2009/map.shtml ), please do contact us.

That will be all for now and we hope you're starting to get ready for
this year SFD.

Thank you all.

Warm regards,

Frederic Muller
SFI President
Software Freedom Day 2010 happening on Saturday September 18th, 2010