[Marketing] Fwd: SFDS 2011 Logos from Brandon

Michael Dorrington michael.dorrington at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 10:11:14 BST 2011

murph wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Brandon Lum <lumjjb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks to all for the good feedback. I'd have to agree with Pockey and Mike
>> on the penguin issue. Attached is the logo (without penguin) + explanation.
>>

> I tend to disagree that the penguin is a problem.  SFD is a great
> opportunity to educate people of the importance of GNU and Free software,
> and Linux should be a part of that.

The kernel Linux should be part of SFD but not dominate. The whole free
software gang should be part of the event, see:
http://www.fsf.org/working-together/gang/

With the kernel Linux there is an additional problem of the GNU/Linux
system being to referred to as just "Linux" causing people to not know
about the GNU project and its ideals, see:
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html

And there are alternative kernels to Linux such as the kernel of
FreeBSD. For instance the Debian project now has a GNU/kFreeBSD port
which uses the kernel of FreeBSD in place of Linux:
http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/

Regards,
Mike.